We are Girlfriend Collective, a Seattle-based startup that aims to not only make the best independent active and leisure wear, but to also lead the industry in social and environmental sustainability. Our products are made from recycled and sustainable materials, cut and sewn by a fair trade certified factory in Vietnam.
● Grow with the company – develop and hone new skills wearing multiple hats in expanded roles
● Be part of a larger movement – our sustainable, ethically manufactured clothing is changing lives, the planet, and the way the world does business
Girlfriend Collective is looking for a driven, passionate, multifaceted Art Director to join our small team. This person should be a highly creative, technically proficient, and experienced content creator with a deep understanding of Girlfriend’s brand and aesthetics. You will own visual content and design across all mediums. Primary responsibilities will include graphic design for all print and digital marketing collateral, website design, and contributing to art direction for product and editorial photo shoots. The role requires the ability to co-conceptualize, design and execute across various initiatives all while maintaining a brand experience that is elevated, engaging, and cohesive. The ideal candidate is strategic with the ability to see the big picture but also has a discerning eye for craft and detail. This position takes direction from the Creative Director and the GM and works alongside the Editorial Director.
What You’ll Do
● Design and layout all emails (daily, launch, triggered, etc).
● Design digital materials including social media assets, display advertising, landing pages, and website graphics.
● Design print materials including hang tags, care labels, packaging, marketing inserts, signage, direct mail, and all other marketing collateral.
● Develop, refine, and implement the future website design direction of the brand to be forward thinking, focused on conversion, and customer centric without sacrificing brand standards or aesthetic.
● Translate website requirements into wireframes and mockups.
● Curate and select imagery for website.
● Ensure all post production work is completed for photography and videography, such as color correcting (overseeing a remote resource), cropping and editing images, etc.
● Review designs for accuracy before printing or publishing.
● Work collaboratively with the marketing team to develop campaign ideas and visuals.
● Collaborate with Editorial Director to execute product and lifestyle photography according to specific vision:
○ Co-create concepts of art directed shots in advance of shoots
○ Create and maintain studio photo style guides
○ Introduce new and innovate product styling, backgrounds, lighting, techniques, etc.
○ Provide oversight to studio baseline and on-model photography
○ Support location photography planning as needed
● Ensure designs implemented align with business goals and company initiatives.
● Maintain standards and help evolve brand guidelines as we continue to grow.
● Understand the Girlfriend Collective brand aesthetic to ensure all creative deliverables
tell our story and are brand appropriate.
● Stay abreast of new creative trends, insights and generate ideas on how to best
translate these for the brand.
● Take creative direction, work collaboratively and integrate feedback into your work .
Who you are
● At least 5 years of relative experience
● Self starter with a positive attitude
● A portfolio showing refined sensibilities across multiple channels
● Detailed oriented systems thinker who pushes for new ideas to create thoughtful, progressive work to tell a story that aligns with the Girlfriend Brand
● Strong presentation skills with ability to clearly and persuasively articulate ideas
● Must have ability to organize and manage multiple priorities
● Ability to work collaboratively with the flexibility to iterative on feedback
● Strong proficiency in industry-standard software including Adobe Creative Suite, specifically Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign
● Understanding of Girlfriend’s brand, aesthetic, voice, and mission